Around this time of the year, you always find hot cross buns and carrot cake in stores and at your friends tea parties. One of our favourites to bake and eat is Carrot Cake.
We have tried many recipes over the years, but we always come back to this one.
250ml sunflower oil
500ml cake flour
5ml bicarb of soda
10ml baking powder
7ml ground cinnamon
1ml grated nutmeg
4 medium carrots , grated (about 2 cups)
50-60g chopped pecan nuts
a few drops of vanilla essence
750ml icing sugar
2ml vanilla essence
- Pre-heat the oven to 160 degrees C
- whisk the eggs and sugar until pale and thick, then beat in the oil.
- Sift the dry ingredients into the mixture and mix together well.
- Add carrot and nuts and mix
- Turn the mix into an oiled, lined baking tin (20cm Square)
- Bake for about 1 hour or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Stand for 5 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack to cool
- For the icing:
- Whisk the butter and icing sugar
- using a wooden spoon, slowly mix in enough cream cheese to make a speading consistency.
- Mix in the vanilla.
- Ice the cake when the cake is cool