It’s officially summer in South Africa. We went from Winter to summer in a week. So now that we are wearing shorts and spending our days in the sun, we needed some Ice Cream. We have done all the ‘normal’ flavours; vanilla, chocolate, berry etc. etc. So we Decided to mix it up this Summer. Our first batch of Ice cream this year was Ginger.
1 cup milk
2 cm fresh ginger
2 eggs yolks
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
- Peel and slice the ginger into Strips
- Pour the milk and cream into a pan. Add the Ginger. Heat the mix until almost about to boil.
- Allow to cool
- In separate bowl beat eggs and sugar until thick
- Add some of the Milk mixture to the eggs and mix with a whisk. Add the rest of the milk mixture gently whisk
- Put the Mixture on a low heat and stir until thickened
- Strain the mixture and let it cool
- Place it in the ice cream maker.
If you don’t have a ice cream maker:
- Place in the freezer
- After forty-five minutes, open the door and check it. Remove it from the freezer and stir it vigorously with a spatula or whisk. Really beat it up and break up any frozen sections. Return to freezer.
- Continue to check the mixture every 30 minutes, stirring vigorously as it’s freezing. It will likely take 2-3 hours to be ready.